2000 to present

A New Territory for the 21st Century

The turn of the century transformed the Northwest Territories. The creation of Nunavut in April of 1999 altered borders and changed the flow of people between communities. The remaining area retained the name Northwest Territories, the latest incarnation of a region which once covered most of Canada.

As of 2022, the population of the NWT sits at 45,605 people, of which 49.6 percent identify as Dene, Inuit, Inuvialuit, or Métis. Land Claims and Treaty settlements continue to progress, highlighting the celebration, resiliency, and strength of NWT’s Indigenous people. The remaining 50.4 percent represent a diverse population from across the world, all finding a home within the territorial borders. The stories of this century focus on the people, land, and communities as they work together toward reconciliation.